Osteoporosis has become a major health problem for women. About 10 million U. S. women have osteoporosis and another 20 million have osteopenia, putting them at risk for bone fractures. Osteoporosis related fractures of the spine lead to chronic, debilitating pain and deformity.
The good news is that osteoporosis is preventable with the early assessment of risk factors and measures to preserve or increase bone mass. The “gold standard” test for osteoporosis is called dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA). This is a safe, fast and painless way to measure bone density at both the hip and spine.
With the addition of two new Hologic Discovery P DXA machines, we are pleased to offer bone density scans at our Montgomery and Prattville locations. Our Certified Bone Densitometry Technologists perform DXA studies on Wednesdays and Fridays.
Who should have a bone density test?
• All postmenopausal women under age 65 who have one or more additional risk factors for osteoporosis
• All women age 65 and older
• Postmenopausal women who sustain a fracture
• Women who are considering therapy for osteoporosis
• Women who have been on hormone replacement therapy for an extended period of time